Husqvarna TE610: The Simplest Fixes…

Husqvarna TE610 Stock Clutch Cable and adjuster...

Husqvarna TE610 Stock Clutch Cable and adjuster…

When you decide to wrench on your own bikes, you often find yourself expending tons of time and energy (and money too!) to make modifications that frankly don’t do much for the performance of your bike.  If it’s cosmetic, that’s fine.  But frustration can set in when you attempt a performance mod, only to find very little (or no) gains.  I was hoping to avoid that when I attempted to fix the tough clutch action on the Husqvarna TE610… 

The Husqvarna TE610 gets a custom ferrule/collar for the clutch cable...

The Husqvarna TE610 gets a custom ferrule/collar for the clutch cable…

After riding the Husqvarna TE610 for a few months, I started to become annoyed with the action of the clutch.  The goal of getting myself off-road again, for the first time in MANY years, would require me to be standing on the footpegs, and the preference would be to have a “shorty” style clutch lever, for easier action in this position.  I quickly realized that the clutch was so hard to pull, even with the full-length lever, which would make it nearly impossible to do with only a couple fingers.  I needed better clutch action.

Upon doing some research, I discovered that many owners of the Husqvarna TE610 had recognized an issue with the clutch cable, at both the bar-end and engine sides.  Manufacturing had shipped the bike with a cable whose ferrule did not fit snugly into the adjuster.  The slight amount of play caused the cable to rub against the adjuster, creating tension, and eventually exhaustion in the left hand.

The answer seemed to be simple.  And after doing enough fixes that often cost hundreds of dollars or more, I was a little skeptical about the gains to be had from something as simple as a custom ferrule/collar for the cable.  But mentions of a fix on the website Moto IQ seemed worth a try, given that it was something that could be done for no money (except the cost of the aluminum), and just a little time at the lathe.

The new collar on the Husky clutch cable...

The new collar on the Husky clutch cable…

On the Moto IQ site, the dimensions were given for a simple collar that would be placed over the bar-end of the clutch cable.  This would be thin-walled, making for a tight fit for the cable to seat properly into the adjuster.  Danny did me the favor at the lathe, turning a small piece of bar stock down to the given measurements.  30 minutes later it was filed and sanded to prevent wearing of the cable, and placed on the bike for fitment.  After a quick adjustment of the cable to compensate for the slight extension in length, a little bit of Dri-Slide the clutch was now working flawlessly.

There is nothing better than accomplishing a fix which takes very little time and money, but achieves a gain in performance that you would have happily paid big money for…

4 thoughts on “Husqvarna TE610: The Simplest Fixes…

  1. “There is nothing better than accomplishing a fix which takes very little time and money, but achieves a gain in performance that you would have happily paid big money for…”

    …yea…that is satisfying

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *