Honda CL360: Misdiagnosis

The Honda CL360 has the wrong side covers...

The Honda CL360 has the wrong side covers…

As mentioned earlier, while I was on vacation up in Vermont, I picked up a barn fresh Craigslist find.  Initially, I thought it was a Honda CB360, but made the mistake of not wiping the grime off the VIN plate well enough.  Also, I was thrown off by the side covers and low pipes, which declared that this bike was a CB.   Turns out it’s a 1975 CL360… Slight distinction. 

The Honda CL360 gets identified…

The Honda CL360 was the “dual sport” model back in the day, often referred to as “enduro” bikes.  Street legal, but with some adjustments for the dirt too.  Mainly, this would be a smaller tank, longer seat, and the up swept exhaust.   This one I found has the wrong seat on it, as well as aftermarket exhaust, which hugs the lower lines like a typical CB series bike.

The beginning of the Honda CL360 tear-down...

The beginning of the Honda CL360 tear-down…

In the photos above,  the bike is up on the lift, being torn down.  Since I was bored, waiting for the apocalyptic 2011 hurricane to arrive, I decided to get started…

The carbs are so different from the ones on a CB550, strange (to me) diaphragm design, and a whole different type of jets.  This bike will eventually be running on pod air filters, so I will probably get WELL acquainted with the jets…

Some free tools came with the Honda CL360

Some free tools came with the Honda CL360

After removing the side covers and stock air boxes, I discovered that the little tool box, included on all these small bore Hondas, contained a surprise.  Tools!  Who doesn’t love free tools?

First up is to strip the bike to the frame, so that I can start grinding off unnecessary tabs (like the side cover holders, helmet clamps, etc) and getting rid of the surface rust.  Then it can be painted.  powder coating is the typical treatment for the frame in a full custom bike.  Having had some decent luck with rattle can spray bombing, I am tempted to use that experience to finish the frame of this Honda CL360.  That decision is a ways off, and yet to be detrmined.

While I am working on getting this baby clean, I will be soaking the carbs in my favorite toxic bath, Berryman’s carb cleaner.  Should do wonders for the spider webs that riddle the carb orifices.  I also arrived home from MotoPreserve to find a package, the rearsets that I bought from a member on the Do the Ton forum.  This guy fabricated them himself, and while they are not “perfect” looking like some of the ones out there – they were 1/3 the price (Perfect for this build!), so I snatched them up before buying anything else.  He also suggested drilling some “speed holes” into the main parts, to give them a lighter look.  Seems like a good idea….

I am keeping an Excel spreadsheet of the proposed costs, so hopefully I can keep within a certain budget – and possibly get costs even lower as deals come up. This will be a thrifty build….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.