Ezra and I finished the clip-ons last week for the Honda CB 350. They still need to get some Van’s Gun Blue patina, but they’re ready to use now. The process was more or less as we expected – first we made the clamp by brazing a bicycle seatpost clamp to a 1.5” tube (as close as I could get to 33mm). Then we figured out how to fixture the handlebar section so that we could cut a repeatable miter. After that, it was all Ez and his mad brazing skillz:
I spent some time fitting my new (old) seat and tank. Even though it’s a CB350 seat pan and tank, I ended up having to cut an inch or so off the front end of the seat pan.
I also finalized the mounting bracket for my new Dyna coils, which took a surprising amount of engineering and, ultimately, only a little machining. I haven’t tried them out yet, but they should provide a significantly more reliable spark than the stock coils:
I want to mention that I ordered 5 of the custom CB350 top triple tree clamps, and I should have them next week. If anyone’s interested, there’s still one up for grabs. There’s been a lot of interest in another run of them, maybe this time for the bigger CBs that use 35mm forks. If this run turns out well, I’d say there’s a good chance that will happen.
This weekend I hope to get the exhaust started, maybe even cut and tacked. After that it’s time to try out my new Mikunis and get everything tuned up before taking it all apart, doing the welding on the frame and tank, and then sending it all out for paint. Thanks for reading! More photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/samueldnewman/